[extropy-chat] prejudices/tribalism biologically "hardwired"

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Tue May 31 17:54:38 UTC 2005

Mike Lorrey wrote:

>--- The Avantguardian <avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>>>any

>>>Concurrently,

>>>flaw

>>>"reengineering"

>>>True - that my tribe!
>>>

>>Ug. No. Character flaw. What bout caveman from 2 tribe
>>like mongrel dog. How gene make prejudice? Who make
>>prejudice? Papa tribe? Mama tribe? All tribe?
>>

>Ask someone who is 1/4 african-american or 1/12th native american why
>they identify with the majority or minority ethnicity: because they
>choose the tribe that gives them what they feel is more power as
>individuals over their lives. This sense of affiliation may change over
>time and may change from day to day depending on which tribe one is
>with at any given moment. The gene doesn't make you automatically
>black-supremacist, it makes you likely to strongly identify with one
>group and engage in group behaviors to enforce that groupism. Are some
>confused? Certainly, especially if both groups they are members of
>reject them or see them as 'other'.

It can be even simpler than that, esp with small self selected tribes.
I have joined the 'Asatru Tribe' (as have most) because its culture is a
perfect fit for my personality, and I enjoy being with people who are
'like me'. Ditto the 'Transhumanist Tribe' to a lesser extent.
How much of ones personality is genetically influenced?

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org