[extropy-chat] economics of scarcity to economics of plenty

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Tue Nov 1 05:24:26 UTC 2005

Whoooooohoooo, I get so turned on with this kind of talk.

He's absolutely right you know.  I know of folks who
have made a living out of nothing, merely buying antique
motorcycles, taking them apart and selling the pieces on
eBay.  New parts cannot be had in most cases, or if so
they cost a fortune.  Guys that still have the old bikes
need the parts.

No particular expertise is needed, a decent small biz
can grow out of a hobby.  The pay isn't great in most
cases, but higher than minimum wage, and doesn't require
a "will work for food" sign.  The internet has created
new opportunities all over the place.  One need not be
a young person to jump on them.

Capitalism, my friends, is the answer to poverty.  Compare
poor people in capitalistic nations with elsewhere.  Notice
the poor people in New Orleans.  They looked pretty well
fed, did they not?  Competition breeds excellence.  It
doesn't make losers, everyone wins.