[extropy-chat] Futures Politics

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Thu Nov 3 01:00:00 UTC 2005

At 03:39 PM 11/2/2005, you wrote:

>On 11/2/05, Natasha Vita-More
><<mailto:natasha at natasha.cc>natasha at natasha.cc> wrote:
>Since I will be asked my political views this coming weekend in an
>interview with a French film on the future, I have outlined my futures
>politics as 4 points:
>
>1.  Nonpartisan.  I believe that no political party today advocates
>solutions for the world's most immediate issues.
>
>2.  Neither right nor left, but "forward."  Drawing a hard line between
>conservatives and liberals is ineffective and looking ahead is the best
>position to take when addressing what the world needs to focus on in the
>coming decades.
>
>3.  Futures Strategy.  Designing strategic analysis of issues that society
>faces and producing alternative "futures" for society to review before
>voting.  The Futures Strategy would provide the means for people -
>anywhere and at anytime - to learn about issues, possible options for
>dealing with and solving problems, and to voice their own opinions through
>a time-efficient and cost-effective P2P architecture.
>
>4. Encouragement of critical thinking.  In order to understand issues
>society needs to be skilled at critical thinking.
>
>Thoughts?
>

>Item 1 is a non starter.

In your view.

>As long as different people have conflicting interests, or wish to solve a
>particular problem using different methods, there will be partisan politics.

I don't think so.  People can pick and choose what works from different
platforms. I have been doing this for years and never voting a party
ticket.  The point is that not having to vote a party ticket ought to be a
statement in itself.

>Item 2 - If by left/right is meant community/individual focus then it will
>never be transcended.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

>Item 3 - This only works if there is a true meritocracy - not democracy.
>OTOH people can voice their opinions now, except nobody is obliged to listen.

No, you are incorrect.

>Item 4 - A lot more than critical thinking is required. Educational
>standards in general must rise significantly.

Yes, indeed.  This is sorely needed and may not even be wanted.  Neither is
change, but people have to do it anyway.

Thanks for your comments even though I do not agree with you.