[extropy-chat] economics of scarcity to economics of plenty

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sun Nov 6 21:01:10 UTC 2005

On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 08:20:46PM +0800, Jack Parkinson wrote:

> All of the above is true enough - but the point was not that Microsoft are
> bad. The point is that a rival and total alien 'economics of plenty' model

Microsoft isn't bad. Microsoft is just the black hole of innovation. Nothing
interesting or novel ever came out of Redmond. Not even visions. This might
change at some point in the future, but right now it's the bastion of
third-rate mediocrity, and a grave of good (nowadays second-rate) talent.

> of doing business can not only keep up with the world leader - but in some
> respects surpass them. All without the corporate support net that MS

It took Firefox to tell you that? Dirty hippie software well predates Microsoft.
Major pieces of software like Emacs, the gcc suite and Linux/*BSD operating systems
were there well before Mosaic.

> employees take for granted...
> How many might have predicted that during the early 1990's?

I've personally used mostly open source software end 1980s, and I'm
just a babe in these matters.