[extropy-chat] Seven cents an hour?

Joseph Bloch transhumanist at goldenfuture.net
Sat Nov 12 01:38:06 UTC 2005

I've always wondered about those statistics, which say that people in
under-developed countries make $x an hour. Do those figures take into
account the buying power of a dollar in that country?

As in, if a gallon of cooking oil costs $2 in the United States, and
$0.02 in Mozambique, that dollar is suddenly looking a lot more valuable
in Mozambique, and only making 80 of them in a year suddenly looks a lot
more reasonable. (Because common sense tells me that no one could live
on $80 a year in the US, let alone as an average for an entire country,
I must needs infer that $80 has a different value in terms of what it
can buy. Dollars don't have inherent value; things that dollars can buy,
do.)

Is this a legitimate economic comparison of relative buying power, or an
emotionally-touching sleight-of-hand based on exchange rates?

I'm not saying this as any sort of smarmy straw man; I honestly don't
know. Do we have any economists in our midst that could explain it to
someone like me whose knowledge of classic economics is confined to
senior year in High School?

Joseph