[extropy-chat] Re: riots in France

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Sat Nov 12 03:01:38 UTC 2005

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Jack Parkinson

>... And every faith throughout history has
> committed atrocities in those places where the clergy has gained
> sufficient political power. The exception would have to be Buddhism...

This comment is worth exploring further.  Is it true that
buddhism is always peaceful, even in its extreme?  I know
of no examples of warlike buddhists, but I have witnessed
firsthand extreme passivism by a buddhist.

>... - although even
> there, self-immolation is not unknown...
> Jack Parkinson

So long as it is *self* immolation, I suppose that
is their right to carry it out.  Religious extremists
seem to be more interested in others-immolation.