[extropy-chat] Re: Aging as a function of bone marrow degradation

Jeff Davis jrd1415 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 13 02:35:55 UTC 2005

--- Harvey Newstrom <mail at harveynewstrom.com> wrote:

> Yes, I understood it the first time.

Apparently not.

> Nothing has changed.

Indeed, so.  You still don't get it, inventing a
meaning, and a circularity that isn't there.

> I hope I can make myself clear this time.

You were clear the first time.

> Your starting point is; "if I rejuvenated [my] bone
> marrow"

Right so far.

> Your ending point is: "resulting in rejuvenated bone
> marrow"

No, this is not the ending point.  You misunderstand
in thinking so.  This is **your** restatement of my
starting point, which you have, on your own
initiative, plunked down at this point and attributed
to me as a repetition of my starting point and a
circularity of reasoning. YOU did this,
misunderstanding me.  I did not.

One last time.  If I manipulate my "aged" bone marrow,
so as to cause it to possess once again the
characteristics it had when I was young and spry (this
is the starting part, the "if I rejuvenate my bone
marrow" part),(now here's the ending part) what will
be the consequences for the larger system composed of
my otherwise old body with its now newly "rejuvenated"
bone marrow?

This is not an argument, it is an open-ended question.
 I do not presume to draw a conclusion, nor force one
on anyone else.  I'm just asking a question.

Clearly I am hoping for, hypothesizing the possibility
of a health-enhancing outcome.  But I am being
cautious, recognizing that the biological system is
quite complex, and that the consequences of such gross
tinkering as suggested by my question may not have the
hoped-for outcome.

Harvey, you're an exceedingly bright fellow and not
usually this obtuse.  Is something else going on?
Have I annoyed you?

Best, Jeff Davis

"Enjoying being insulting is a youthful corruption of
power. You lose your taste for it when you realize how
hard people try, how much they mind, and how long they
remember."
                            Martin Amis