[extropy-chat] Seven cents an hour? (was: Riots in France)

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sun Nov 13 03:05:00 UTC 2005

At 06:08 PM 11/12/2005 -0800, spike wrote:

>If production is done by nanotech miracle factories,
>the result is exactly the same as offshoring, is it
>not?  Yet we don't dread that at all, we fondly
>anticipate it.

I do dread it, for exactly the reason I gestured at a few days ago
(although I left out some of the steps):

People (young men especially) with full bellies gained effortlessly, but
lacking meaning in their lives, often seem to find purpose fast in ganging
up on each other in fits of murderous primate chest-pounding. Making Soma
the opium of the people might help, but that's a pretty sickening prospect.

It's hard for us self-starter INTJs to grasp that hapless dynamic, but then
we're less than 5% of the population, and most of us here are a slimmer
slice through that group as well, being at least in the top 2 IQ percentiles.

Damien Broderick