[extropy-chat] Seven cents an hour? (was: Riots in France)

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Sun Nov 13 06:51:45 UTC 2005

It's a moral paradox.  If one is poor, then clearly
it is OK to shop at Walmart.  What if one isn't
destitute, but isn't rolling in it either?  How
well-funded can one be before shopping at Wallyworld
should produce guilt?

Then what about Salvation Army?  Clothing and other
stuff there was donated for the poor, but SA
has to sell the stuff that will sell in order to
raise money for the poor.  So if one is not poor,
is it OK to buy stuff there?  By doing so, one helps
the Salvation Army raise money for the poor, and
that is good, but it also removes articles that
could be purchased by people less fortunate, which
is bad, but it also frees up shelf space for more
donated merchandise, which can be used to display
more donated stuff for sale, good.  Suggestions
welcome.