[extropy-chat] Seven cents an hour? (was: Riots in France)

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 13 12:25:27 UTC 2005

--- John K Clark <jonkc at att.net> wrote:

> Mr. Avantguardian sir, it pains me to say this
> but....., you are full of
> shit.

I am glad it pains one of us, John. Perhaps I am full
of shit but I prefer calling it conscience. But what
good does it do me? You may be right, I should trade
it in for some cheap knick-nacks from China.

> I estimate that Sam Walton did more to elevate
> the average global
> level of happiness on this planet in 4.2 seconds
> than you did in your entire
> life.

Do you measure your happiness in the saving of a few
pennies here and there? Or did you mean the 4.2
seconds it took for his death rattle to issue forth
from his dying lips? Those 4.2 seconds sure made his
ungrateful kids happy. It may have given the numerous
competitors that he bankrupted over the course of his
life a brief moment of satisfaction. And I am sure it
gave some passing joy to all the employees that he
fired to avoid promoting.

Of course, MY life has yet to run its course. You are
correct in guessing that I will probably never be as
rich as Sam Walton was but in some ways I consider my
calling to be somewhat higher than that of a penny
pinching merchant. And I can assure you that Sam
Walton never saw the sublime beauty of a lymphocyte on
the prowl for a cancer cell. You must be a very
powerful psychic indeed to see so far into the past
and the future and be able to so thouroughly weigh the
lives of two men from different times that you have
never met. Then again, in the eyes of one accustomed
to instant gratification, even dead maple trees look
far grander than acorns do they not?

The Avantguardian
is
Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"If you fear death, you are not living right; if you don't want to live forever, you are not living well." - a sparrow outside my window.