[extropy-chat] Re: riots in France

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Sun Nov 13 17:22:49 UTC 2005

On 11/11/05, Jack Parkinson <isthatyoujack at icqmail.com> wrote:

> Dead cheap molecular manufacturing could end such strife - in the right
> hands (that is - everyone's hands) But, if and when it arrives - it's
> deliberate restriction to a privileged few could also give us strife we
> never before considered even possible.
> Unfortunately - I share your gloomy outlook.

Cheap ubiquitous molecular manufacturing could certainly end the
strife over scarcity of subsistence level resources, but only if used
wisely.  To put such power in everyone's hands, without first having a
framework of rational interdependence, would be like providing
gasoline to children playing with matches.

- Jef