[extropy-chat] Seven cents an hour? (was: Riots in France)

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Mon Nov 14 02:46:33 UTC 2005

Jef

Jef it occurred to me that Europe Inc. must have dealt
with this problem a long time ago.  I understand that
civilization has been around a long time on that
continent.  How about it Europeans?  How did you
guys handle the classic conflict between small
local shops and huge retail monsters?  Do you
have something analogous to the yank's Walmarts
and Fry's?  Do the big cities have
them and the small towns not?  If so, do
people go to the cities to shop?

No one has said much about the fact that
bricks and mortar shops are getting ever
more competition from Amazon.com and the
rest of the internet fly-by-nights.  We
can easily imagine that Walmart might
become the last retail building left
standing.  Europeans, do you guys buy