[extropy-chat] Seven cents an hour? (was: Riots in France)

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Mon Nov 14 15:23:58 UTC 2005

"The Avantguardian" <avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com>

> As if the Waltons were even the slightest bit concerned
> with anybody other than themsleves.

Concerned? I have no idea who if anybody Sam Walton was personally concerned
about and frankly my dear I don't give a damn. I'm interested in results, I
don't give a hoot in hell about intentions. I hope I don't come across
sounding too cynical but any economic system that must rely on people loving
each other is just not going to work. The farmer grows my food, the trucker
moves my food and the grocer sells my food and none of these people love me,
yet the free market plunges them into a conspiracy to put food on my table.

>  So how can you possibly alleviate world poverty with
> the very same system that created it in the first place?

Capitalism certainly didn't cause world poverty and I can do much better
than tell you how it can alleviate it, I can give you example after example
after example where it HAS alleviated it. If you don't believe me then ask a
few hundred million people in China, or those in South Korea, or Formosa, or
Singapore, or Honk Kong or....

> Mankind has did without money for 95% of the million
> or so years that he has been around. It is only
> because people with huge amounts of money insist that
> EVERYBODY needs it, and refuse to allow people to live
> in peace without it, that poverty even exists.

Wow! And I thought Islam was bad trying to bring the world back to the 13'th
century, but you put them to shame, you want to bring things back to
prehistoric times. Pol Pot in Cambodia had similar ideas.

      John K Clark