[extropy-chat] Re: riots in France

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Mon Nov 14 21:27:54 UTC 2005

With material plenty do you think this is likely?  But wait, I
thoroughly believe in the right to obtain and bear arms.  So we may
disagree or which kinds of things are a problem. A nano-factory
cannot produce anything it doesn't have a blueprint for.   That is
one level of control.  Nanofactories could come with certain built-in
restrictions giving another level of control.   The problems could
also be addressed by something like the broadcast model proposed by
Ralph Merkle (http://www.zyvex.com/nanotech/selfRepJBIS.html).

Generally speaking I am more interested in empowering people and in
fighting abuses they actually do commit  than in keeping them
harmless by decreasing their abilities and access.

- s