[extropy-chat] Seven cents an hour? (was: Riots in France)

Jack Parkinson isthatyoujack at icqmail.com
Wed Nov 16 03:49:02 UTC 2005

> From: Rafal Smigrodzki <rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com> wrote:
> Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] Seven cents an hour? (was: Riots in
> France)
> To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
>
> It looks like whenever the name Wal-Mart is uttered, it occasions an
> outpouring of statements so silly as to be childish.

Well that was certainly true of the superficial remarks you made Rafal.
Because, if you gave the debate a more than cursory look, you might have
realized by now that the economic models we have now are also the models
many will advocate for the future. All of this has a direct bearing on the
way things might be. I noticed your language included such terms as
'puerile,' 'stupid loser,' and the suggestion of Luddism and ignorance as
well as 'childishness.' Not a very mature assessment I would have thought -
and more importantly - not a scrap of evidence was supplied!

It has been pointed out, and not just by me (if you remove head from sand
you might note there are substantial numbers considering these points), that
the economic model which is the Wal-Mart style of corporate activity has
serious deficiencies in a future context. In particular, it is easily
possible to imagine a scenario in which this business model becomes more or
less immediately outmoded if nano-manufacturing  became possible.

BUT... this type of business model does not seem to be something many on
this list can evaluate coolly. It's support is almost a cherished belief.
This is something I don't understand but am prepared to be enlightened on...

Several times I have seen people write here about small business
'price-gouging,' Wal-Mart being 'efficient' and I have also seen 'Mon and
Pop' businesses derided as small time and  inconsequential.

I think these opinions are unsupportable. Because: small businesses with
lots of competition can't price gouge, they must compete. And, Wal-Mart to
me seems very inefficient once you step away from the corporate to take the
national viewpoint. And, Mom and Pop business are surely the 'American
dream' in action! So why despise them?

So far in this debate, the pro Wal Mart opinions on this list have not been
backed up with anything more substantial than blind belief! What is this
strange creed? How can people get angry when someone suggests that the
dynamics of corporate business can be challenged? I just get the crazy
feeling I am talking to hapless victims of propaganda, when I see the
derision that is directed towards non-believers...

If you want to convince me (and maybe a few others) - then this is the
challenge: Demonstrate (don't just sneer or give me another side-stepping
opinion piece) exactly HOW Wal Mart is more efficient for America than
several thousand smaller stores would be.
.
And, when I say 'efficient' I don't mean in a company/internal sense - all
big companies have a size advantage which leverages their ability to buy and
sell. I mean: For the whole of the US.

How is Wal-Mart better than the alternatives for America as a whole?

I am waiting in anticipation!
Jack Parkinson