[extropy-chat] Seven cents an hour? (was: Riots in France)

Rik van Riel riel at surriel.com
Wed Nov 16 22:12:43 UTC 2005

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005, Rafal Smigrodzki wrote:

> Once Wal-Mart becomes a government creature, I will be its implacable
> enemy

Let me cite the Berkeley paper again:

"We find that overall, families of California Wal-Mart workers
 rely heavily on public safety net programs.  We estimate the
 total cost to the public for public assistance to Wal-Mart
 workers at $86 million a year."

"the report estimates that a typical 200-employee Wal-Mart
 store may cost federal taxpayers $420,750 a year - about
 $2,103 per employee"

http://laborcenter.berkeley.edu/lowwage/walmart.pdf

> but until then, I am proud to say:
>
> "I am a friend of Wal-Mart"

With this much government support, how is Wal-Mart not a
"government creature" ?