[extropy-chat] Anti-transhumanist op-ed: Is the world ready for a superboy - or a dogboy?

David Harris dharris234 at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 16 23:25:09 UTC 2005

The Discovery Institute (http://www.discovery.org/) is in Southern
Caliornia and is the institution that brought us the concept of
"Intelligent Design".  The ACLU, in the Dover, Pennsylvania, school
board case, points out that Intelligent Design seems to be a way of
avoiding the word "God" in what otherwise looks like Creationism, which
has been kept out of schools by court decisions on separation of church
and state.

The Discovery Institute folks are responsible for the "Wedge strategy"
(http://www.antievolution.org/features/wedge.html), a plan to integrate
Intelligent Design into science classes and gradually separate popular
thinking into a choice between God and materialism/evolution/science.
To many religions, that is a needlessly narrow choice.

I'm working on an essay suggesting that the border between science and
supernatural religions can and should be drawn somewhat differently than
current usage.

I've been doing the computer work for Darwin Day Celebration
(http://DarwinDay.org), very much the opposite of the Discovery
Institute, except they have much more money and we have real science on
our side.  We promote Darwin's birthday ("Darwin Day") as a celebration
of science and humanity, much like "Newtonmas" in spirit.

   - David Harris, Palo Alto, California