[extropy-chat] Seven cents an hour? (was: Riots in

Jack Parkinson isthatyoujack at icqmail.com
Thu Nov 17 03:58:10 UTC 2005

John said:
> Then why didn't they do better? You talk about a "hypothetical scenario"
> but
> there is nothing hypothetical about it.  Wal-Mart DID compete with mom and
> pop and the consumers DID vote with their wallets and Wal-Mart DID win;
> and
> we didn't need to worry about shadowy government agencies using dubious
> economic models and subjective judgments about what "benefits" society the
> most economically, artistically, morally and culturally. That is far far
> too
> much power to have!

This whole response of yours is one failure after another to answer the
question I posed. I don't MIND discussing how Wal Mart got ahead of the
pack - but what is relevant here is:

Is their business model efficient or not? I am saying here and now it is
not. You are giving me a lot of peripheral, diversionary, incidental
remarks - like the 'points' below and above) and pointedly failing to
address the question.

> Oh and by the way, Wal-Mart was once a mom and pop store too.
>
>> taxpayer contributions in the form of government support to support the
>> company are a drag on efficiency
> John said:
> I agree, so eliminate any form of government support of the company if
> there
> is any, and there probably is; with government so bloated money seeps out
> of
> the treasury to anyone who had their hand out, so stop bailing out the
> employees too.

You agree? So what you are now saying in effect is that your previous
argument holds no water and can be set aside? A simple "Excuse me, I was
wrong - I didn't check the facts" would suffice.

> Well, what you're suggesting is certainly 180 degrees away from the
> original
> Extropian principles, but "heretical" gives your words a grandeur they do
> not deserve; "juvenile" would be a little more accurate.
>    John K Clark

Really? And I suppose you can explain/justify these remarks as well?
Jack Parkinson