[extropy-chat] FWD (SK) Re: Bush says critics distort history

Terry W. Colvin fortean1 at mindspring.com
Thu Nov 17 19:43:02 UTC 2005

[Forwarding comments from John Forester, son of C.S. Forester.  -Terry]

I have listened to excerpts of Bush's speeches, sometimes to whole

speeches, and read excerpts, and the experience has led me to
stronger recognition of the classic saying that patriotism is the
final refuge of the scoundrel. Well, I have also read Imperial
Hubris, and The Assassins' Gate, and I read two political magazines
and a quarterly that frequently covers world events in detail; I
suppose that what I have read in those has predisposed me to my
judgement. But, on the whole, all the different items fit together in
a consistent picture.

In my opinion, were I in Bush's position (which I cannot, not having
been born in the USA), I would accept responsibility for the decision
to invade Iraq, for the errors that led to that decision, and to the
errors in planning that have produced results far different from my
expectation, and then do my utmost to work out a reasonable plan for
fixing the problem that the nation, and the world, now faces. Bush
refuses to take this course, insisting that we all accept that
everything that he has done has been perfect and that all that we
should do is to "stay the course", meaning to continue to carry out
the plan (more nearly lack of plan) that has not worked in the
expectation that it will work.

I hark back to the account, some years ago, by one of his professors
at Yale, stating that Bush always tried to escape responsibility for
his errors and omissions. Same damned excuse, but now for the
world-wide scale of problems

Bush's attitude makes it very difficult for the Democrats to work out
a better plan for recovery from this problem. As it is, they seem to
be unable to get beyond a desire to get our troops out, as the
contrast to Bush's insistence that the only patriotic act is to keep
them in. In a parliamentary system, there might well have arisen a
government of national unity devoted to working out the problem in
the best possible way. This doesn't occur under the American
Constitutional system. As long as Bush maintains control of the
Republicans, that type of solution must wait until at least the next
elections; it is possible that either Democrats take over, or that
some Republicans opposed to Bush get elected. For an earlier attempt
at solution we must hope for defection by a considerable portion of
the Republicans.

John Forester, MS, PE
Bicycle Transportation Engineer

--
"Only a zit on the wart on the heinie of progress." Copyright 1992, Frank Rice

Terry W. Colvin, Sierra Vista, Arizona (USA) < fortean1 at mindspring.com >
     Alternate: < fortean1 at msn.com >
Home Page: < http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/8958/index.html >
Sites: * Fortean Times * Mystic's Haven * TLCB *
      U.S. Message Text Formatting (USMTF) Program