[extropy-chat] Fwd: [agi] a2i2 news update: still looking for additional talent

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Fri Nov 18 02:09:10 UTC 2005

--- Dirk Bruere <dirk.bruere at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/17/05, justin corwin <outlawpoet at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm forwarding this news item from my boss to this list because it
> > seems he didn't post it here.
> >
> > It's frustrating, and definitely counter to my expectations that
> there
> > should be so much difficulty in finding good people who want to
> join a
> > project such as ours. Personally, the prospect of getting paid to
> do
> > this kind of work was a major goal of mine since I first became an
> > extropian, and began plotting my grand future plans.
>
> Getting good people to do *anything* is an uphill struggle.
> In general, you either offer them large amounts of money and/or
> something
> interesting - usually both.
> Good people who are true 'self starters' end up millionaires very
> rapidly -
> they are truly rare.

One might argue that this is "something interesting".  But you're
right, to get the top talent you need to pair that with large amounts
of money.  IIRC, A2I2 isn't exactly offering $100K salaries - which is
about the level I'd suspect they'd need to offer to actually get
top-flight talent, and that's factoring in a discount for having
something this interesting.