[extropy-chat] Seven cents an hour? (was: Riots in France)

Gary Miller aiguy at comcast.net
Fri Nov 18 17:25:39 UTC 2005

If the government raised the minimum wage gradually to above the poverty
level, say $9.00/hr maybe, then companies like Walmart would not be able to
take advantage of government subsidies because their employees would not
qualify for them.

Programs like public assistance should be reserved for people who can't work
or find employment not people who are working full-time and still can't make
enough to live on.

While it is true that Walmart and companies like them may do a staff
reduction in some areas, a companies like Walmart can not stay in business
with out cashiers and people stock the shelves.

If this was phased in over a three year period it would allow the economy
and businesses the time to adjust.

If the economy can weather a 33% hike in energy costs in less than a year we
should be able to weather a gradual increase in mimimum wage.

Of course costs will increase at Walmart also to compensate for their
increased labor cost.

Whether they can still be profitable without government subsidies is the
true test of how efficient they really are.

Of course this would effect far more stores than Walmart.  Fast food would
also be hit hard.

And I understand it will cause inflation to some extent.

But I think that's the price we all have to pay to live in a country where
if people work hard the American dream is still within their reach.

>> Employers always try to get the cheapest employees they can and employees
always try to get the best paying jobs they can, complaining about that fact
of life is like complaining about gravity. The reason Wal-Mart employees
(and the employees of their competitors) don't make a lot of money is that
pool of people with their intelligence and skills is large and the number of
jobs they would be competent in is not so large. In general if a worker is
only worth 5$ an hour to his employer that employer he will never pay him
more than that unless he is running a charity; and if there is a law that
says he MUST pay 6$ an hour then he will simply hire nobody.