[extropy-chat] Help! I'm not ready for reality! (was the 7 cents thread)

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Sat Nov 19 05:49:23 UTC 2005

On Nov 18, 2005, at 5:29 PM, Brent Neal wrote:

> Jack,
>
> What you said here needs to be said often (and loudly.)
>
> I just heard a speaker from CSIRO who discussed some of the
> characteristics of innovative environments.  He said something much
> along these lines, covering everything from "aggressive civility"
> to "utter lack of sacred cows."  Nowhere does the kind of
> ideological attitudes that are becoming prevalent in modern
> discourse enter into the path to progress.

One of the most productive teams I have ever been on was not at all
inclined to civility.  We did not attack one another but we merciless
attacked one another's designs and opinions until we reached mutual
agreements.   Few new people were happy because it sounded to them
like we were always arguing.   But the three of us accomplished the
miraculous.   I have also seen it work with much more civility  (and
at lower volume) of course.  But "ideological attitudes" or less
civility are not a bar to progress per se.   Perhaps you had in mind
that form of incivility that starts attacking persons instead of the
ideas they express.

- samantha