[extropy-chat] Seven cents an hour? (was: Riots in France)

jonkc at att.net jonkc at att.net
Sun Nov 20 02:14:30 UTC 2005

--------------  "Brett Paatsch" <bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au>: --

>You'd introduced the question of morality and whether you were a villain.

Yes but what has that to do with the fact that I said international law is a farce
What about domestic law is that farce too?
No, there is enforcement behind that.

    >Without respect for law,

I didn’t say I don’t respect the law, I said without enforcement it’s not a law at all, it’s just some guy saying don’t do something.

>exactly how is your ethos any different from that of a looter?

A looter always causes grief to somebody who does not deserve it, a violator of international law may or may not do so depending on the law. Another difference is that as a looter a policeman might shoot me, but international law has no policeman.

.> As a citizen of the US you are, for now, able to enjoy some human rights benefits you haven't had to personally earn.

I do not feel that the government has done me an enormous favor by not taking away all my human rights.

> What could possibly be your point in pointing at Libya? That because Libya (of Lockerbie) fame can't be trusted to run a Human Rights Commission

Good boy, you answered your own question, keep using the old noggin like that and you won’t have to keep asking me questions.

> So do you have a practical workable plan to eliminate sweat shops?

I don’t want to eliminate sweatshops, I want to eliminate poverty, and my plan is one that has already worked in South Korea, Japan, Formosa, and large parts of China.

>Its you that seems to hope that you might be of some appeal to it and be the beneficiary of its charity.

Everybody hopes for charity when they get into a jam they can’t get out of themselves, but that doesn’t mean I expect it or think I deserve it.

>Its you that is creating the very world that you'd personally need to avoid.

Huh?

John K Clark