[extropy-chat] against ID

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Sun Nov 20 12:45:46 UTC 2005

On Nov 19, 2005, at 11:03 AM, Harvey Newstrom wrote:

> Unless you rename "Intelligent Design" to "Simulation Argument".
> If the "Intelligent Designer" is a computer simulator, and all
> creation is a simulation, then you will not find quite as strong or
> as univerasal opposition among transhumanists.  Many can and do
> argue that we must at least consider the possibility that we are
> living inside a simulation created by some intelligent design.  How
> this differs from ID, I don't see.  But many transhumanists do
> believe in ID in the guise of the Simulation Argument.

But none of us suggests that the Simulation Argument be taught
alongside evolution in biology class.  AFAIK none of us have
suggested that the Simulation Argument explains any of observed
reality better than a non-SA set of explanations.

As Eliezer pointed out once, coming up with a plausible notion that
does not violate known facts is not sufficient to claim the notion is
true or even likely.  It merely says it is not impossible.If the SA
is true and the SA created this universe (the SA has to have come
from some timeline of some universe) or at least earth life, then it
was a very deistic arrangement where the SA set up a very messy large-
scale GA and took a look now and then to see if anything interesting
turned up.   Biological evolution is not in the least questioned by
such speculation.  So I do not agree that transhumanists who hold
that SA is likely believe in a form of ID.

- samantha