[extropy-chat] Jack's right, he's not ready for reality

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Sun Nov 20 14:29:11 UTC 2005

"Rik van Riel" <riel at surriel.com>

> companies paid employees not in money but
> in coupons, which could only be spent at (overpriced) company
> stores.  This practice has luckily been outlawed in most of
> the world by now.  I have read some reports that sweatshops operated by
> certain  companies, mostly in China, are reinstating a similar policy.
> Their "employees" are obliged to live in overcrowded company
> "housing" for which they are charged rent, and are overcharged
> for their food.

Read my lips, I DON'T CARE! Whatever economic policies companies are
following in China it is my sincerest desire that they do more of it, the
reason is it's working. We are seeing in China today largest explosion of
wealth and the fastest increase in living standards by the largest number of
people this little planet has even observed. Because of this China is also
politically calmer and less radical now than its been in several centuries,
and that's not a bad thing either, 1.4 billion people fighting among
themselves would not be fun. So in short, if it's not broken then don't fix
it.

     John K Clark