[extropy-chat] Jack's right, he's not ready for reality

Technotranscendence neptune at superlink.net
Sun Nov 20 23:21:09 UTC 2005

On Sunday, November 20, 2005 5:55 PM Rik van Riel riel at surriel.com
wrote:
>> If we follow your advice and that of Jack's
>> organized crime won't be able to hinder
>> economic growth because there would be
>> no economic growth to hinder.
>
> My advice doesn't go any further than:
> - pay minimum wage
> - comply with labor laws
>
> I'd like to know what you think is bad about that.

Easy: both put people out of work by otherwise preventing people from
coming to mutual agreements on, respectively, wages and working
conditions.  (In other words, it reduces personal freedom, specifically
freedom to trade and freedom to contract.)  Why do you think Wal-Mart is
in favor of raising the minimum wage?  Out of altruism or because it
will help to put a lot of its local competitors out of business?  Why
are unions for all kinds of mandatory, government enforced work rules?
Because they also are altruists or because they want to reduce the
number of positions available in any field to keep wages above a market
level?

Regards,

Dan
http://uweb1.superlink.net/~neptune/