TOP 2 IQ Percentile Re: [extropy-chat] Seven cents an hour?

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Mon Nov 21 19:33:45 UTC 2005

--- Brett Paatsch <bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> Damien Broderick wrote:
> > It's hard for us self-starter INTJs to grasp that hapless dynamic,
> > but then we're less than 5% of the population, and most of us here
> > are a slimmer slice through that group as well, being at least in
> the
> > top 2 IQ percentiles.
>
> I wish it were so but I reckon this flatters or genuinely overrates
> "most of us here" by about a standard deviation.
>
> I'd estimate the mid-point of the curve as closer to one standard
> deviation above the mean than two.

Side note: I'm in Mensa (the organization whose only membership
requirement is taking one of the standardized IQ tests they recognize
and scoring in the top 2%), and...to be honest, aside from the focus
on certain types of topics, one might not be able to tell most of the
messages of this mailing list from those of their mailing lists just by
reading the message bodies (sans the headers and footers where the list
labels are, and with obvious exceptions like messages discussing ExI or
Mensa).  That said, I know certain others here are likewise members of
both; perhaps they can spot more of a difference.