TOP 2 IQ Percentile Re: [extropy-chat] Seven cents an hour?

M.B. Baumeister mbb386 at main.nc.us
Mon Nov 21 21:26:24 UTC 2005

> This relates to a topic I've idly wondered about on occasion, but never
> enough to google it: how much of a problem do 30-and-overs, who have
> not been in an academic environment for many years, but who now seek to
> enter or re-enter college (say, to get the degree they should have
> sought immediately after high school but did not for whatever reason),
> face from the fact that their transcripts, test scores, and other
> academic records (normally used by colleges for determining who to
> admit) are largely no longer available?

One thing they need is their childhood vaccination records - official ones
signed by the doctor... who of course may long since be dead. My nephew
went through this at University of North Carolina just within the last
couple of years. He'd dropped out some years before and was re-entering.
The old records the university had on hand were *no longer acceptable*! He
had to have blood tests done to prove that he had the proper antibodies or
do the shots - all of them - all over again. Which has its own dangers.
The records *he* had were his mother's hand written ones in his baby book.

Therefore, I immediately wrote to my children's pediatrician and purchased
multiple official copies of their childhood shot records. Shared them out
with the (now adult) kids and kept a copy of each in the bank vault too.
Geez. What a nuisance.

So if you have interest in going back to school, this might be a wise
thing to get hold of ASAP.

Regards,
MB