[extropy-chat] against ID

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Tue Nov 22 04:39:45 UTC 2005

On 11/21/05, spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:
> > bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Eugen Leitl
> >
> > Ich kann, so zu sagen, mein chemisches Wasser nicht halten und muss ihnen
> > sagen, dich Harnstoff machen kann, ohne dazu die Niere oder ueberhaupt ein
> > Thier, sey es Mensch oder Hund, noethig zu haben.
> >

> ???  One can make urine, regardless if one is a human or a
> dog, or even without kidneys, in the lab???

Wohler wrote triumphantly to Berzelius:
"I must tell you that I can make urea without the use of kidneys,
either man or dog. Ammonium cyanate is urea."

Of course, it wasn't "real" ammonium cyanate.

To my quotes collection I've also added

"Computers can't play chess. They can only simulate playing chess."
- Eugen Leitl

along with my favorite

"Experiences only look special from the inside of the system."
- Eugen Leitl