[extropy-chat] qualia

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 22 21:08:56 UTC 2005

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 13:23:38 -0500, Brent Allsop <allsop at extropy.org>
wrote:

> What red is like isn't all that complex of an issue.
> It's simply a phenomenal property of something in our brain.  You don't
> need some huge paper and complex story about some neuroscientist to
> describe what I just did in two sentences.

Seems to me that to say 'It's simply a phenomenal property of something in
our brain' is to avoid the question. How exactly is it that phenomenal
properties of matter exist and lead to subjective experience?

To quote Chalmers, "At the end of the day, the same criticism applies to
any purely physical account of consciousness. For any physical process we
specify there will be an unanswered question: Why should this process give
rise to experience?"

That is Chalmers' hard question. But maybe that is not the question you're
trying to answer.

> Exactly - electrostimulation is almost exactly effing!

Assume we have this 'effing' technology, that it resembles
electrostimulation. We attach the device to person A and flip the switch.
He reports seeing red. We do the same with person B who also reports
seeing red. This might seem a success, but is it? How can we be certain A
and B actually experience the same qualia? How is this method
qualitatively different from a more basic type of stimulation, such as
simply asking A and B to gaze at the same red wall?

Rather than stimulating the retina you are (presumably) stimulating
certain neurological structures associated with 'redness'. You must be
assuming that the same structures exist and work identically in every
brain, yes?

-gts