[extropy-chat] Qualia Bet

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 11:57:49 UTC 2005

If I understand correctly what Brent is saying, it is that there is
such thing as qualia, they are essential to our subjective experience
of being, and they wont necessarily just be present in any general
intelligence.

That third point is crucial. If it were so that they would just
emerge, then there would be no argument between the materialists and
the phenomenalists (or can I call them dualists?), because if you
believe in them they would be there, and if you don't then they
aren't, either way it's just metaphysics.

But the argument comes up because the supporters of qualia say that
it's possible that you can produce a general intelligence without
qualia. This is what is refered to casually as a zombie. It's
behaviourally indistinguishable from a "real" person, with qualia, but
it doesn't have subjective experience.

So what is being hypothesised is that we are general intelligences
made up of the mundane causal, natural world stuff (matter & energy
doing their thing) plus something else, by definition not part of the
material world, which is (or is responsible for) the phenomenal aspect
of our internal lives.

The problem is, that we can talk about Qualia. We can discuss this
subjective, otherworldly, phenomenal being-ness. Which is excellent,
of course, because it makes for all kind of deep conversation, highly
impressive and entertaining in general, the good stuff.

But the embarrassing bit about such high falutin discourse is that we
use our lowly mouths to do the speaking, or our excruciatingly
material fingers to tap out our brilliant theories. And, these contain
muscles and tendons and all kinds of gristly nasty stuff, that connect
up to nerves, and on and upward,
the-knee-bone's-connected-to-the-thigh-bone wise, finally to our
admittedly impressive yet ultimately mundane material brain.

Here, we've got a truly impressive information processing machine.
It's capable of taking all the information from our senses, and from
our thought processes and memories, grind away, and produce new
thoughts and new impulses to action.

But we are still in Zombie territory. Somewhere, we had the impulse to
talk about phenomenal consciousness. Where did that impulse come from?
If we are truly reporting on the experience of a phenomenal subjective
experience, it must bridge over into our lowly brain matter somewhere.
If we could map out the connections in the brain entirely, we must
eventually find something completely inexplicable in the processing by
natural means. Somewhere, for there to be a non-material part of
conscious life, a ghostly signal must enter the brain from no material
cause. A neuron must fire somewhere, with absolutely no reason for
doing so.

So if this is true, we'll find it eventually. We'll find the cable to
the phone unplugged, and yet the telephone still rings, and it'll be
just that spooky.

But let's assume that we don't find this, that we find the brain as a
whole, mapped down to the atomic level, is entirely internally
consistent, and its function is, at least in principle, reproducible
by a machine.

Where does that leave subjective experience? Well, let's look at the
case of zombies. Let's confine it to the class of zombies that are
constructed in the future by us, using entirely materialist system
architectures which are totally internally consistent in the way they
work (ie: a closed causal system except for its well defined sense and
action interfaces with the rest of the world).

These zombies can be broken into two classes. Those that report
subjective phenomenal experience, and those that do not.

The zombies that refute any suggestion that they have subjective
experience, or just can't understand the concept, are clearly GIs
without subjective phenomenal experience (or liars).

The zombies that protest that they do indeed have subjective
phenomenal experience, though, raise a problem. They clearly work
without input from a non-material component. Yet, they claim that they
do have that phenomenal experience. So, we can only come up with two
possibilities:
 1 - The subjective phenomenal experience exists, and is entirely
material, thus is epiphenomenal.
 2 - They lie.

>From this and the earlier discussion, I think we have two
alternatives. Either, there is indeed a "magic signal" that propogates
into the brain somehow from outside the physical world, which we must
eventually find by the absense of cause at some point in the structure
of the brain, or subjective experience is an ephenomenon of purely
material processing.

So, I agree with you in a way Brent... I think this question will be
put to bed once and for all some time in the next decade or two, by
straightforward brain science. But I wouldn't bet on qualia.

--
Emlyn

http://emlynoregan.com   * blogs * music * software *
NaNoWriMo word count: 34048 (http://nanowrimo.org)