[extropy-chat] qualia

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 24 04:52:23 UTC 2005

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 18:07:54 -0500, Jef Allbright <jef at jefallbright.net>
wrote:

I've been thinking about your interesting line of thought here, Jef, and
trying to see how it applies to the question of qualia. I'm thinking it's
an interesting answer to the question of ego and self-image but that it
doesn't apply to the question of qualia. Qualia are about immediate sense
experience, not about mental constructs such as the concept of self.

When you look at a red stoplight, for example, you experience a color.
That immediate experience of the color red has certain characteristics to
you separate from any concepts you may or may not have about your self in
the world.

It's probable that lower organisms experience qualia with no concept of
self. Insects probably "see things" (experience qualia) even if they have
no concept of self and no ability to reflect intelligently on their
observations.

However the abstract concept of self may very well be an evolutionary
adaptation exactly as you describe here.  Maybe even worth a separate
thread!