[extropy-chat] Qualia Bet.

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 24 16:00:41 UTC 2005

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 10:20:56 -0500, Jef Allbright <jef at jefallbright.net>
wrote:

> When you find your way back to that point, where you're asking about
> the system "just" doing calculations, and whether it really
> "experienced" anything, then ask yourself how you would know--or
> better yet, how would it know?

If we're trying to understand qualia then the ability to "know what we are
experiencing" is really a different question and beside the point.  Higher
organisms are interested in reflecting on the nature of themselves and
their qualia, because as you point out in another message, that modeling
of their environment with self included gives them an advantage.

Lower organisms probably just live by experience (qualia) and blind
instinct.

I doubt flies know they are alive or that they experience the world. They
seem to experience qualia without having a self-concept and without having
knowledge of their own existence.

Aside from mobility, blind instinct, and the ability to replicate, I
wonder how an insect is in any way different from a camera. I wonder if
there is no difference. If there is no difference then pan-psychism is
true.

-gts