[extropy-chat] Qualia Bet.

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Nov 25 07:40:09 UTC 2005

On Thu, Nov 24, 2005 at 07:46:00PM -0500, gts wrote:

> Yet you acknowlege the experience. That experience *is* qualia, no matter
> how we choose to think about it.

So qualia just means "the whole of human experience". Can't argue with that.
But this is not a theory. It predicts nothing, and can't be falsified.

> If the human brain is a machine then it should be possible to build a
> machine that experiences qualia. Some would say this is the essence of

Of course.

> strong AI. This is what Brent envisions also. The question is how do we
> build that machine. I think it would be helpful if we understood what the

Easy: just replicate what the CNS cells of a particular individual do, and
feed them with the right input.

Map a vitrified primate at ultrascale detail, build a computational
model and load it into a dedicated computational engine, including
a fake reality renderer. Switch it on, and everything else emerges.

> hell we're talking about when we talk about qualia. :)

I think I understand what the hell I'm talking about. I'm not
at all understanding what the hell you're talking about.

> Whatever it is, it's staring us right in the face.

I must have problem set agnosia. I see no problem where you
seem to see one. I guess we should just agree to disagree.
The conversation goes nowhere.