[extropy-chat] Note on "Random (effects without a cause)" comment

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Fri Nov 25 15:43:16 UTC 2005

"scerir" <scerir at libero.it>

> It is possible to show (papers by Jarrett, Shimony,
> Ghirardi, Howard, Eberhard, Cushing, etc.) that a
> a deterministic theory - one in which the range of any
> probability distribution of outcomes is the set [0 or 1]
>  REPRODUCING ALL THE PREDICTIONS OF QM

I don't see the advantage of bringing back determinism to Physics if the
price you must pay is something as un-testable as non locality. People say
Einstein didn't like non-determinism but what he REALLY didn't like is
non-locality, the idea that you can't understand anything until you
understand everything.

> QM allows, or implies, FTL signals.

Bullshit. We know for a fact that you can change things at a distance much
faster than light, it has been demonstrated in the lab, but they are NOT
signals, you can not use the phenomena to transmit information.

  John K Clark