[extropy-chat] Qualia Bet.

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 25 17:30:34 UTC 2005

--- gts <gts_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Dualism implies something ghostly and non-physical.

This might be splitting hairs, but physics is riddled
with "ghostly" phenomena. Gravity is a good example as
are other energy fields. Virtual particles are
another. These phenomena may be "insubstantial" but
not non-physical since they can be described by
physics. A sophisticated dualist/mystic such as myself
might believe that people have souls but not
neccessarily say that souls are non-physical. Just
that we do not understand the physics of souls yet. If
bosons can be quantumly entangled and the soul is
composed of them, then it is quite possible for a
system of entangled bosons to maintain itself
independently of a material substrate. This might
explain why alleged ghosts seem to be capturable on
film.

The Avantguardian
is
Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"If you fear death, you are not living right; if you don't want to live forever, you are not living well." - a sparrow outside my window.