[extropy-chat] Qualia Bet.

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 25 18:32:36 UTC 2005

--- "Eliezer S. Yudkowsky" <sentience at pobox.com>
wrote:

> Stu, if you don't understand something, just call it
> "magic", don't
> barbarize decent physics.  If this were the SL4
> list, I would let you go
> on posting, but I would require that you not use the
> word "boson" for
> another year.

Eli, while I am not an expert in QED, what is wrong
with my usage of bosons? Bosons are integer spin
particles that have unusual properties of being able
to colocalize with each other (photons are an example
as are gluons). They interact only very selectively
with particles of matter such as leptons and baryons
(e.g when they are at the proper
energy/wavelength/color). And they are the so called
force- carrying virtual particles that hold matter
together by shuttling back and forth between quarks.

In other words, they seem to have insubstantial
"ghostly" properties. If it will make you happy, I
could refer to them in my ghost hypothesis as
non-fermions for one year? BTW... I prefer using the
term "undiscovered science" to "magic" in technocratic
circles. After all "when in Rome do as the Romans do".
Unless of course you suggest that I barbarize Rome
too. ;)

The Avantguardian
is
Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"If you fear death, you are not living right; if you don't want to live forever, you are not living well." - a sparrow outside my window.