[extropy-chat] qualia

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 26 05:30:08 UTC 2005

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 14:57:19 -0500, Jeff Davis <jrd1415 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Herein lies my problem with "qualia",...and with
> religion.  When the universe presents you with
> something about which you have many unanswered
> questions, the correct answer to any of those
> questions should be "I don't know." (Or perhaps, "I
> don't know,...yet.")  Not "qualia" or "God".

I don't see the "qualia" and "God" concepts as in the same category here.
Few people claim to have seen God but almost everyone will acknowledge
seeing qualia. Qualia are the object of our inquiry here, not an answer to
it.

Religion/God/Mysticism/Cartesian-Dualism is one answer to the question of
qualia, but one that most extropians and transhumanists would probably
prefer to reject. The need for divine intervention would make the
extropian dream of strong AI enormously more difficult and intimidating.
How would we persuade or force God to inject souls into our machines?

> Humans, especially clever humans, have an aversion to "I don't
> know."

Especially true for philosophers and scientists. Good thing, that!

-gts