[extropy-chat] Qualia Bet.

Brent Allsop allsop at extropy.org
Sun Nov 27 18:47:52 UTC 2005

At 05:15 AM 11/26/2005, gts wrote:
>On Thu, 2005-11-24 at 16:34 -0500, John K Clark wrote:
>
>>We might value such a [qualia] gene a great deal but to Natural
>>Selection it's useless, in fact to Natural
>>Selection it's invisible.
>
>Why useless and invisible? Presumably animals run from forest fires
>because they smell, hear, see, or feel them. All qualia.
>
>-gts

But we can also program "zombie" machines to do the same thing.  The
difference is - they wouldn't do it as efficiently.  Qualia are a
very powerful and intelligent way to represent diverse kinds of
information.  Some things we really have a hard time representing
with mere abstract programming or mere numbers.  Motivation is
another thing that is very difficult (though not impossible) to
program - yet something that qualia accomplishes naturally and simply.

Nature obviously has phenomenal properties - why wouldn't evolution
discover and utilize these powerful tools to make us more intelligent
and motivated - and hence more survivable?

Brent Allsop