[extropy-chat] Re:Just trying to figure it out

Dirk Bruere dirk.bruere at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 12:16:57 UTC 2005

On 11/26/05, Anna Tylor <femmechakra at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Mr. Tymes
>

> My question:  In June I did something I have never done before, a
> drug.  It
> was a very
> overwhelming fantastic experience for I thought of things never in my
> wildest dreams could
> I have imagined.
> Could this drug have caused this effect?  Am I experiencing this addiction
> based upon the
> memory from that day?

A lot of people experience this when taking a psychedelic for the first
time.
It expands awareness and also shows a lot of the things the subconscious
normally does not present to the conscious mind. This includes insights and
connections on varying scales from the trivial to the cosmic. Mostly they
are 'wrong', although not always, and it is quite hard to tell which is
which initially. It depends on the experience of the user and their mental
discipline.

The behaviour you have explained might be obsessive due to its interest and
the fact that the drug has literally opened up an new aspect of the world to
you. Psychedelics are, in general, not addictive either mentally or
physically. However, they can, and often do, result in profound changes of
ones worldview. My suggestion is to keep doing what interests you, and
sometime, when you 'run out of steam' go back and take the drug again.
However, this time prepare yourself for it by outlining a purpose. It still
probably won't do much good, but you may well start to focus the experience
to some extent, especially in the downward phase.

BTW, not sure what you took, but LSD is probably the most powerful. If you
got your experience from something like ketamine, salvia or mushrooms then
LSD will *really* open your eyes.

Dirk