[extropy-chat] Qualia Bet.

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 28 17:46:09 UTC 2005

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 03:00:00 -0500, The Avantguardian
<avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> That's fair. Bacteria are aware. What is suprising is
> exactly how aware they are. New research is
> discovering that there are complex networks of
> response regulator genes...

Very interesting! However I would rephrase that as "What is surprising is
exactly how intelligent they are." They make very intelligent use of
awareness, especially given that they are almost certainly not conscious.

> Then as time progressed, the universe expanded, the
> fine structure constant changed, heavy nuclei and
> eventually black holes formed, and the universe became
> the cold inhospitable entropic place that it is today.
> Whole swaths of the universe "died" and all that is
> alive today are the remnants of the once living
> universe, now strewn across the galaxies in little
> nooks and crannies where the conditions are amicable
> to it. This remnant life travels from world to world
> by pan-spermia and perhaps for those organisms
> fortunate enough to survive their own intelligence
> technology.

Given the relatively young age of the earth, I think this means you think
life on earth originated elsewhere. Alien microbes? Yikes. :)

-gts