[extropy-chat] qualia

Dirk Bruere dirk.bruere at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 20:07:36 UTC 2005

On 11/28/05, gts <gts_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 08:19:13 -0500, Dirk Bruere <dirk.bruere at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I would claim that mysticism, or at least the experience of the
> > mystical, is itself a quale.
>
> I believe mystical experiences are the direct awareness that pan-psychism
> is true. The world is aware.
>
> When we speak of biological life, we are referring to those parts of the
> world that have evolved the ability to use awareness in intelligent ways.
> The most intelligent parts of the world (us, as far as we know) are aware
> of our awareness. We are the world becoming self-aware.
>
> Pantheism and process theology are the theological cousins of
> pan-psychism.

Even if that is true, it still leaves open the question of the communication
between matter and intelligence such that qualia are appreciated.
If every bit of information processed results in a speck of
consciousness/qualia or whatever, what is the mechanism that 'sees' it and
reports it to other?

Dirk