Spirits (was RE: [extropy-chat] Qualia Bet.)

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Tue Nov 29 15:29:15 UTC 2005

"gts" <gts_2000 at yahoo.com>

> Mary is trapped in a black and white world [...]One day she escapes into
> the world of color and sees red for the first time. Did Mary just acquire
> additional knowledge about the color red?

Yes and we can prove it with the scientific method much easier than Galileo
proved things about gravity by rolling balls down an incline plane. We just
note that for the first time Marry can tell the difference between a red
light and a white light; and that's not very phenomenal now is it.

   John K Clark