Spirits (was RE: [extropy-chat] Qualia Bet.)

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Wed Nov 30 03:39:21 UTC 2005

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Dirk Bruere
Subject: Re: Spirits (was RE: [extropy-chat] Qualia Bet.)

On 11/29/05, Herb Martin <HerbM at learnquick.com> wrote:
To Spike and Dirk:

Dirk wrote:
> I disagree.
> IMO the benefits far outweigh the possible dangers.
> I'd also say that when it comes to damage most other drugs are worse - and
this certainly includes alcohol.

What dangers?

The danger I had in mind is accidental overdose.  With
alcohol it is possible to get a fatal overdose but it
isn't common, same with marijuana.  I haven't heard of
anyone overdosing on cocaine or the other opiates: when
one gets enough of that stuff one gets dozy I would
suppose, perhaps get too stoned to strike a match.

But with heroine and LSD, accidental overdose happens,
people die.  It takes so little LSD to trip out
permanently, 12 milligrams = dead.  A hundred micrograms
the normal dosage: If you buy it in the liquid form, do
you trust some stoner to have measured the dosage
correctly?  How do you control for impurities?  Dirk
do you really think that process isn't dangerous as
all hell?

That being said, I am one who believes that most
recreational drugs should be legal.  But I want to
make like Dick Nixon and make one thing perfectly
clear: my attitude is not the same as saying
that I believe people should use them.  I think
most people should leave them alone.  Making them
illegal introduces new dangers: the dosages are
controlled by dope dealers and stoners instead
of pharmacists, which invites overdosage, and
of course introduces the danger of prison.