[extropy-chat] Re: Spirits

Acy Stapp acy.stapp at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 20:12:54 UTC 2005

The phenomenal knowledge the Mary is experiencing is objective
knowledge about her internal brain states which she has been unable to
experience prior to her release. She can not know *everything* about
red because her conscious learning apparatus is unable to stuff
information into the perceptual apparatus in a manner that replicates
actual color vision. The feedback circuits which enable learning and
introspection don't reach far enough down to affect visual perception
so profoundly as to enable her to imagine the experience of red. I
assert that qualia are merely tokens to enable conscious cognition
about subconscious processes.

Acy