[extropy-chat] Worldwide SOS system

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 5 03:31:46 UTC 2005

--- Emlyn <emlynoregan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Here's a simple sounding idea...
>
> I was thinking about the fact that people still get lost in
> wilderness
> areas, in a time when we've got satelites covering the globe, taking
> high(ish) resolution pictures of everywhere on the planet I think.
> That's crazy, don't you think?

The 3G phone technologies have built in gps, and even if they are out
of cell range, their signals can be picked up by ELINT spysats.

> So how about this... set up a system for constantly analysing the
> most
> recent high res map information, looking for a big "SOS" anywhere in
> the world. Send any positive results along with GPS coordinates to
> relevant authorities. Then people who get lost could build such a
> thing out of logs or whatever they can find which contrasts with the
> background, and have a good chance of being located and rescued.

I can forsee lots of resources wasted on pranks were such a system put
in place. Criminal pranksterism, even. If I wanted to rob a bank in a
rural town, I'd put out an SOS sign in the other side of town to reduce
police resources.

> There might be a better way to do this. But the idea is that the lost
> person needs to be able to signal to the satellites, requiring no
> special equipment.

How about we let people, who are so stupid as to go into the wild
unprepared, win their Darwin awards as they deserve?

Mike Lorrey
Founder, Constitution Park Foundation:
http://constitutionpark.blogspot.com
Personal/political blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com