[extropy-chat] Worldwide SOS system

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 04:33:26 UTC 2005

On 05/10/05, Damien Sullivan <phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:
> >    Sadly, I'm pretty sure if you have the means to build a sign visible
> >    from orbit, you have more than sufficient means to reach civilization,
> >    so the lost in the wilderness stories stay. It's a clever idea,

Have a look at the res on Google Earth. You could make an SOS big
enough to be seen, I think. Hmm, except in the wilderness bits, they
are not such high res. But surely there are satelites up there working
at high enough resolution for this?

> Top spy satellites are said to have a resolution of 5-6 inches.  There are
> probably stories about stranded people making Big Signs in hopes of some plane
> seeing them.
>
> Heck, Martha tried that in _Marooned in Realtime_, I think.

I'll have to go reread it.

--
Emlyn

http://emlynoregan.com   * blogs * music * software *