[extropy-chat] Extropy, Political Viewpoint and the Future of ExI's List

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 23:03:11 UTC 2005

On 10/9/05, Brett Paatsch <bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> If smart people could get in the habit of feeling comfortable about
> sayings something like, "yes I did say that then, but I've changed
> my mind since", then I think we might see more progress.

I think that's a very good idea.

Progress in science and technology often seems to depend heavily on people
in their teens and 20s.

In my opinion, that's not because the brain ossifies after that age, but
because once people have carved out a position for themselves, it's not in
their interests to disturb it, so the next jump has to wait for the next
wave of hungry people in their teens and 20s who don't yet have anything to
lose.
Here's to being able to say "yes I did say that then, but I've changed my
mind since".

- Russell