[extropy-chat] Futures Past

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 9 23:21:12 UTC 2005

--- Greg Burch <gregburch at gregburch.net> wrote:
> It makes for interesting and, in many instances,
> painful reading.  Bear in mind that this was the
> vision some of us had in the Spring of 1998.  We
> were surfing at the zenith of the 1990s Bubble.  The
> Collapse of the Bubble, 911, Enron, Columbia – all
> were in the future.
>
> What do you take away from looking back on looking
> forward?

Cheer up, Greg. There were quite a few things in which
you were right on the money, like your predicition of
harddrive capacities and what not. Also the human
genome was completely mapped nearly a decade ahead of
your schedule. Much of what has not come to pass as
expected were due to politics and not due to
technological hurdles. All in all you did well.
Remember that even those with oracular powers cannot
predict the future with certainty.

"Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future."
-Yoda

As far as the use of TRYING to predict the future,
here is some more advice from the little green zen
master:

"This one a long time have I watched. All his life has
he looked away... to the future, to the horizon. Never
his mind on where he was. Hmm? What he was doing."
-Yoda in reference to Luke.

Remember the very act of trying to predict the future
can change it. So put away the crystal ball and roll
up your sleeves. The only future that you can bank on
is the one you make happen.

The Avantguardian
is
Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it through not dying." - Woody Allen

"Our hope of immortality does not come from any religions, but nearly all religions come from that hope" - Robert G. Ingersoll