[extropy-chat] alien AI

giorgio gaviraghi giogavir at yahoo.it
Mon Oct 10 00:54:58 UTC 2005

Recently I read in New Scientist the news that a few
astronomer working on  extrasolar  planet research,
are considering adding the possible research of
artificial space structures (Dyson spheres, artificial
planets, other artificial space settlements) which
would indicate the existence of Kardashev 2 type alien
civilizations.
While this could be an important addition to SETI
activities , such assumption has another significance
as well.
By assuming the existence of space habitats for
advanced societies they are discarding the possibility
that an alien AI society could have taken over from
its living creators and take control of their
civilization after a singularity process similar to
the one that we are forecasting.
Such artificial society in fact would not need huge
space habitats to recreate their planet of origin
conditions  since they don’t need food, air,
particular atmosphere or even gravity conditions but
only energy.
They can  even be nanobot size units with
interconnected brains, they would dominate entire
planetary systems and we would not be aware of their
existence.
Trillions of them could fit into a football ball size
stellar ship and expand their domain if such were its
main goals.
Food for thought.
I would appreciate comments on the above.